I’d heard about this study ages ago, and at the time it just seemed deliciously ironic. However, the last 15 years has well and truly proved to me that there’s a strong element of truth to it, too. After all, we’ve all heard about:
- Ex-gay groups headed by gay men who supposedly overcome their desires, only to come out years later.
- Pastors who lead churches that can “deliver” people from homosexuality, then take young men on trips overseas and “deliver” them happy endings.
- Fire and brimstone preachers who end up getting caught with a $30 male prostitute … ahem … taking one for the team.
- Politicians who pass anti-gay laws then get discovered looking for sex in urinals at airports.
- Politicians who pass anti-gay laws and write papers called “Growing Up Straight: What Families Should Know About Homosexuality”, then hire rent boys to “carry their luggage”.
There are always titillating stories in the gay community of known politicians, sports people, etc., who don’t necessarily have the most gay-welcoming of public stances but privately lead a double life. Some of these stories undoubtedly are wishful thinking, but some are 100% accurate.
Now, returning to the study I mentioned at the start…
Someone tweeted about it this week, kindly reminding me of it (though I’ll admit I’ve unkindly forgotten who it was who sent it around – if it was you, let me know). It was conducted in 1996, and was titled: “Is homophobia associated with homosexual arousal?”
Quoting from the abtract:
“The authors investigated the role of homosexual arousal in exclusively heterosexual men who admitted negative affect towards homosexual individuals.”
They broke the study up into two groups – a collection of 35 men who were homophobic, and a collection of 29 men who had no issue with gays.
They then proceeded to show the men “stimuli” – aka, “porn”, of 3 varieties: regular heterosexual porn, gay male porn, and lesbian porn. As would be expected, both groups got rather excited about the heterosexual porn and lesbian porn.
However, what was the real corker – and something just about anyone in the gay community would attest to – was that the homophobic men were the only group to get aroused about gay male porn. That’s right:
“Homophobia is apparently associated with homosexual arousal that the homophobic individual is either unaware of or denies.”
So, next time some guy starts blathering on homophobically about gays, just ask yourself this one question:
Is he a top, or a bottom?