I’m serious. No-one else in the media has ever been able to play “Crazy as a shit sandwich” as well as Beck. There needs to be a new award, or a padded cell. Honestly, the ravings, ramblings and incoherent mutterings of this guy are so nutty that he’s either completely unhinged or he’s an incredibly good performer. Some of his crazier ravings included the following:
- Accusing Barack Obama of being racist – of hating white people. Hell, that’s so bat-shit crazy it’s like Monty Burns in the Simpsons movie: “Well, for once the rich white man is in control!”
- Ongoing comparisons between anyone he doesn’t like with Hitler. Surely Beck has heard of Godwin’s Law, right? It seems that every second quote you find from Beck will have him comparing a person or their policies to Hitler.
- ‘Joking’ about people who need to be killed, or revolutions that need to be started. (“Would you kill someone for that?…I’m thinking about killing Michael Moore…I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it,…No, I think I could.” – Glenn Beck radio show 17 May 2005.)
- Suggesting that the government might have him killed for all his nutty ramblings. (“For those of you in the administration, who are coming after me … remember, you’ve broken three [of the 10 Commandments], let’s not make it four; thou shalt not kill.” Fox News, 23 March 2010.)
- Anti-evolutionary stance. “I don’t think we came from monkeys. I think that’s ridiculous. I haven’t seen a half-monkey/half-person yet.” Hmmm, Glenn, I may be insulting monkeys, but have you looked in a mirror lately?
The fact that people seriously listen to this guy, and think he’s being honest and truthful tell us a few things:
- Whenever there’s a person raving stuff that’s as crazy as a shit sandwich, someone will listen. (I think Sarah Palin proves this too.)
- Just because someone listens doesn’t mean it’s the truth.
- The greatly espoused American “freedom of speech” has its draw backs.
The real compelling questions are:
- Does Beck actually believe any of the shit that he says?
- Is it just a ratings ploy?
- Did it start as a series of bullshit statements and he’s said them so many times now he’s starting to believe them?
No matter what, I just wish he’d shut the fuck up. That sort of crazy is catching.