I definitely have tendencies that left unattended can head in the direction of OCD. Clothes lines, in particular, are a headache for me. I have to work really hard to avoid a situation where any item of clothing hung up with more than one peg has to use the same coloured pegs.
So, since I keep an eye out for my OCD tendencies, I thought I’d make a quick list out to help others spot whether they too have OCD tendencies. Here it is:
- You start a list of 7 items and try to work out how to turn it into 10 items because that’s a nice even number.
- Not being able to work out a way to go to 10 items, you start writing the first item, but half-way through, go back and revisit this 10-item thing.
- You think a little more about how to make it a 10 item list by jotting down the first 7 items and trying to work out what you may have left off.
- You re-write the list in alphabetical order in case that helps you come up with something else.
- You re-write the list by apparent priority since alphabetical order didn’t help.
- Since re-writing by apparent priority didn’t help, you go back and re-write into alphabetical order again.
- Then you notice a spelling error, so you re-write the list again.
- Once you finish writing the list, you realise an ‘s’ looks like a 5. You try to write over it but each time you do it looks worse, so finally you start writing the list all over again.
- Your pen runs out half-way through the rewritten list, and not having another pen of exactly the same colour, you start afresh with the new pen.
- You realise you’ve done things similar to anything on this list.